You might have heard the famous routine of people drinking hot water in the morning. As we all probably know, water is one of the most critical requirements of our body. The human body is 70-75% water; hence it is required in abundance. Also, water plays a significant role in regulating the body’s metabolic activities. Did you know that an average, healthy human can survive for 21 days without food but can only live for three days without water? This makes the importance of water very clear.
Now, in summer, we tend to sweat a lot. Sweating is the body’s natural mechanism to keep the temperature down and maintained at the standard 35-37 degrees Celsius. As the temperature around us increases, such as in summer, the body tends to sweat more to maintain the temperature for optimal body functions. But sweating causes water loss from the body, and hence we feel thirstier during the summer. First, let us look at the ill effects of not drinking enough water during the summer.
Side effects of not drinking sufficient water
If you do not drink enough water, especially during the summers, you will suffer dehydration. Some symptoms and effects of dehydration are:
- Constant headaches
- Sluggish and slow bowel movements, which include constipation, cramping, and indigestion
- Dull and lifeless skin that looks dry
- Your energy levels will drop and cause fatigue.
- The body signals us to drink more water. But, sometimes, this signal can be mistaken for hunger and lead to weight gain as the signal will not stop, and you will continue eating.
- Less water causes the mouth to dry up. There will be low saliva production, making it difficult to swallow, talk, and even breathe. Also, your lips may get chapped and painful.
Benefits of drinking water
Now, let us look at the benefits of drinking sufficient water. Preferably, one should opt for the best water with minerals, but regular tap water also suffices.
- Muscle health and efficiency: Water helps in lubricating the joints as well as helps in taking the oxygen to the muscles. Hence, drinking more water keeps them supple and less prone to cramping and fatigue.
- Regulation of temperature: As mentioned above, water helps regulate the body temperature by allowing it to sweat. Without water, the natural mechanism is stopped, and the body temperature rises. This causes unease and leads to headaches as well as other ailments.
- Mental clarity: Water facilitates and increases oxygen and blood flow to the brain. This allows the brain to be more focused and clear.
- Better skin: Dehydration and exposure to the sun cause the skin to lose its radiance and glow. It becomes prone to aging faster and sunburns, and other issues. Drinking plenty of water helps maintain elasticity and makes it look supple and softer.
- Improves digestion: As you must have heard, drinking hot water in the morning aids indigestion. It allows the bowel movements to be smoother and helps in aiding indigestion.
Additionally, drinking the best water with minerals has additional benefits as the minerals are essential for certain bodily functions. Therefore, drinking water has many benefits.