Dehydration, it’s a term where the body is poor in fluid contents present in it. It’s a situation where loss of water/ fluids is exceeding their intake. Our body is smart enough to convey messages of any irregularities and deficiencies that our body is suffering from. But it’s our responsibility to understand those warning signs and react accordingly.
Warning signs of dehydration-
Early warning Signs include
- Increased thirst
- Dryness in mouth
- Reduction in ability to think and focus
- Colored or small amount of urine
Acute warning signs of dehydration include
- Dryness in the skin and no elasticity.
- Sleepiness is extreme and the person is unable to wake up
- Reduction in the amount of urine
- Dry and sunken eyes may lead to no tears
- Excessive fatigue
- Dizziness at a level where a person may fall down
- Irritation and agitation
Some severe Warning signs include
- Low blood pressure
- Rapid heart rate
- Urinary tract infections
- Kidney dysfunctioning
- Rapid respiration
- Reduction in consciousness level
Drinking more fluid content to stabilize the balance of water content in the body. To prevent dehydration, we need to drink about 2 liters of water in a day on regular basis. Try taking small sips of water. Make it a habit to drink water every day after you wake up and before going to bed. Make a chart for water consumption and follow it. Drink water before and after every meal you take in the whole day. For people with heavy physical workloads, water consumption is a strict recommendation to avoid dehydration.
Eating habit also affects your fluid balance in large extent. Eating a balanced diet is therefore very necessary. To avoid such instances, it’s advisable to eat the proper diet including vegetables and fruits which are high in water content. In addition, add juices to your diet. At present, people show less concern regarding dietary routines, to avoid dehydration it’s important not to skip your meals. Follow the routine of healthy eating strictly. Moreover, avoid drinking caffeine-containing drinks in excess like- coffee and tea. Alcohol is another drink which exaggerates the conditions of dehydration.
Proper rest is also necessary to avoid dehydration. Lying down in full air conditioning and cool place may help.
- Taking more fluid content in the diet, including water, juices, and other drinks.
- Prevent alcohol and excess use of coffee and tea.
- Take proper rest and avoid going out in sun.
- Monitor signs of the body which reflects the state of dehydration.
- In severe cases take medical help.
- In case of situations like vomiting and diarrhea, use over the counter medication to treat them and avoid excessive loss of fluids.
- Drink water when you wake up and before sleeping.
- Add another glass to your daily intake before and after your breakfast.
- Do the same with your lunch and dinner, by adding a glass of water in your daily consumption before and after.
- For the sportsperson, after every activity tries taking small sips to avoid excessive loss.
Benefits of staying hydrated
Drinking water helps in keeping your organs healthy. Kidneys, heart, lungs, digestive system all work in coordination. You can experience a clear and shiny skin. Strong and long hairs. Mood stays light and happy. Prevention of extra calorie addition therefore well maintenance of weight. It keeps your joints lubricated. Fewer instances of headaches and confusions. Energy levels are high and immune system functions really well. Our body is made up of water and we need water to keep its functioning proper and efficient.